Tuesday, September 22, 2009

eco-warrior on the loose

what does it mean to be an eco-warrior? i will tell you. i wake up every day in the middle of the night. i stealthily slip out of my organic, hypo-allergenic bed, past my sleeping pile of homeschooling family bed, to don my felted wool mask and union made in the us, cotton cape. sliding down my responsibly harvested wood stair railing, i flip into my fluorescent lit kitchen to hatch a few eggs, i mean lay them, no, i mean to make yogurt, or is it granola this time? or maybe decadent chocolate pudding... hmmm. yes that is what i should be doing now.

i quickly whisk all that together while humming no, not kumbaya, but, what’s so funny about peace, love, and understanding. all the while radiating the white light of aforementioned elvis costello’s (or nick lowe’s if you want to get picky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7txCdLCP9U )... i might as well be doing this with my feet as my hands mend old blankets and my brain plots new projects for the other bodies i have brewing in the basement.

so, perhaps you have figured out by now that this all is not an accurate representation of how i actually live. well, ha, i have you beat. i am dreaming!

living purposefully (trying to reduce our waste and rid my family’s life of plastic) is great, thinking that there are many others out there that are nearly as interested as i am is, well, nearly as realistic as actually being able to live as though i can do this thing. that is, living as though i am alone when i am actually the mother (read responsible for their happiness) of two minors and a husband. but still i dream, and work.

my next project: eliminating the tea bags. that requires researching where i can get the bulk products i want and building an infrastructure of tea buddies. i guess the nature of tea parties keeps changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment